Thursday, February 26, 2009

When learning is a life-long journey

Earlier today , my fellow students and I did our presentations during the department's colloquium.Four out of my six students presented their project while one could not make it and another one was missing in action. I think they are all doing okay. The two final year students need some extra effort though as their presentations were a bit raw; and this is usually due to lack of preparation and understanding of the subject. I hope they will work harder before our next presentation. FYI, these students are doing research-based/project-based studies; thus, their progress is monitored through presentation or research papers. I like taking up research students as we can "work together" instead of "I teach you this and that". the only criteria that I look for in a research student is his/her commitment to the project. You show me your hard work and I'll go all the way to make sure that you'll get what you are here for---- knowledge and a scroll in your hand. I haven't got anyone graduated under my supervision as yet;hopefully there will be soon. There is one PhD student who has finished the time but still needs some more time to complete her research. It is natural in the research world to go beyond the limit because it knows no limit or boundary. Sometime you get it early, some time later and sometime never ever. You just never know. Despite all the odds, I am quite sure she will persevere and work hard until the end.

Post-graduate studies are a bit different from the undergraduate level. The focus is no longer into skill-building curriculum but more on making a thesis. We are getting into head-bashing academic terminology here; but, hey what the heck, while we are at it, let me explain. The word thesis is referred to as one's original claim or statement. That's it, not that complicated isn't it. If you said the world is round, then, you've made a claim or you have made a thesis. If you wanted it to be accepted by others then you have to "defend your thesis" or claim. Then we have a word such as " anti thesis"----a statement that goes against a thesis. If some one made a thesis and you claimed otherwise then you've made an "anti thesis". Another word which is much more familiar to us all is "synthesis", it simply means if we take the existing thesis and make it stronger with new data , new proof or new perspectives then we are making a synthesis. That is all to it. And with that I end our today's lesson. :)

No comments:

Followers