Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Remembering The Passing of a Friend

That morning I woke up to the incoming sms beep on my PDA. I received the sad news that an old friend has lost his battle to dengue. He’s been fighting for his life for the last few days and today just before dawn he finally gave up. May his soul rest in peace with the muttaqeen and the muqorrobin. Death is inevitable. We know that. It is staring at us like an American eagle looking for a prey. Am I scared of dying? of course I am just like everyone else. I was exactly in the same position a while back; warded with dengue. Alone in the hospital bed I started to think that nothing else really matters at this point and time other than my health. With all the money in the world; I would rather have my self out of this bed. I really felt that way in the true sense of the word. I could not die as yet. I wanted to see my son Ahmad off to his new school and make new friends. I wanted to ask whether Maryam likes her new muallimah or not. I wanted to send Nabiela to her hostel when the new term begins. I needed to see Ifah going through her PMR and make sure Kak Long settle down comfortably for her SPM. You see, I’ve got a million things to do. I just could not die as yet. Moments after moments I knew I would be strong enough to get myself out of this illness. I guess that very motivation has got me going even at one point I thought the angel of death is just outside the door. You just cannot underestimate this type of illness…dengue can be fatal. I learnt that the hard way. The headache and never-ending fever are too common to be taken seriously. But then think again. A simple effort of visiting a clinic at your neighborhood could mean life or death.

As the news of my old friend reached everyone, I started to remember him from the schooldays some 30 years ago. He was nice, friendly, outgoing and had a beautiful voice as we frequently asked him to call out the azan for prayers. I still remember him with his serban and all and was favoured by the seniors. He got into trouble later and was expelled from school. After so many years we met again at our alumni gathering. The same old buddy but a bit skinny. He looked tired as if life has not been so forgiving for him. After that meeting we had no opportunity to see each other again. He went away without saying goodbye. Life is indeed too short. Farewell my friend. May you rest in peace.

--------------------------------------------------

اَللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لَهُ وَارْحَمْهُ وَعَافِهِ وَاعْفُ عَنْهُ، وَأَكْرِمْ نُزُلَهُ، وَوَسِّعْ مَدْخَلَهُ، وَاغْسِلْهُ بِالْمَاءِ وَالثَّلْجِ وَالْبَرَدِ، وَنَقِّهِ مِنَ الْخَطَايَا كَمَا نَقَّيْتَ الثَّوْبَ اْلأَبْيَضَ مِنَ الدَّنَسِ، وَأَبْدِلْهُ دَارًا خَيْرًا مِنْ دَارِهِ، وَأَهْلاً خَيْرًا مِنْ أَهْلِهِ، وَزَوْجًا خَيْرًا مِنْ زَوْجِهِ، وَأَدْخِلْهُ الْجَنَّةَ، وَأَعِذْهُ مِنْ عَذَابِ الْقَبْرِ [وَعَذَابِ النَّارِ]

Allahhum maghfirlahu warhamhu wa'fu 'anhu wa 'afihee wa-akrim nuzuluhu wa was-si' mudkhalahu, waghsilhu bil maee wath thalji wal bardi, wa naq-qihi minal 'khataya Kama yunaq- qath thawbul abyadu minad danasi, wa abdilhu daran Khayram min darihi, wa ahlan Khayram min ahlihi wa zawjan khayrum min-zawjihi, wa adkhil hul jan-nata, waqihi fitnatal qabri wa 'Azaban nar

O Allah! Forgive him and have Mercy on him and give him strength and pardon him. Be generous to him and cause his entrance to be wide and wash him with water and snow and hail. Cleanse him of his transgressions as white cloth is cleansed of stains. Give him an abode better than his home, and a family better than his family and a wife better than his wife. Take him into Paradise and protect him from the punishment of the grave (and of the fire)
[Muslim; 2:663]

No comments:

Followers